Data plays an important role in creating more sustainable products, business operations and supply chain practices. Whether the data is used for internal reporting and analysis or is shared publicly through proprietary or third-party data collectors, sustainability data must be:
• collected (often from multiple, loosely-connected sources)
• verified for accuracy, reliability and representativeness
• kept secure
• reported in a manner that meets stakeholder needs.
This is a tall job, especially in global enterprises with decentralized supply chains. Companies usually approach this task usually through the use of IT-based solutions, ranging from:
• spreadsheet-based records and reports, based primarily on manual entry
• sustainability-data-specific software, perhaps able to capture data from other enterprise systems
• ERP system add-on sustainability-related modules, some of which have the ability to capture and report on an almost real-time basis
First and foremost, “right size” your technology solution. For large enterprises, ERP modules (such as those from SAP and Oracle) make the most sense. For mid-size organizations, a sustainability-specific Software as a Service (SaaS) offering makes the most sense. Do thorough due diligence before entering into any user agreement. It can be very difficult to change solutions once you’ve been using a particular system.
One of our favorite mid-tier offerings is the Turnkey Solutions product. We can recommend it as an affordable, reliable and user-friendly product. It allows for the effective collection, organization, management, and reporting of data from within a company and throughout its supply chain. Turnkey Solutions has many characteristics and functionalities that make it an invaluable tool for companies attempting to bolster their sustainability credentials.
For a company to realize its sustainability goals, it needs to make strategic use of data. Data management software is the proper tool for sustainability data management.
Contact us to learn more about the variety of technology-based solutions to collecting and managing sustainability data. Call us now at 212-343-1006 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.